The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

10 November 2005

Name the Band & Win!

I gave my report in Ice Age extinctions today. I think it went very well, though I won't know for sure until I get my grades back, hopefully by Monday. We all went to the bar down the street for a well-earned drink afterwards, and from there we eventually we migrated to the Viceroy for some outstanding Indian food. While eating, we discussed an idea that's been bandied around a fair amount over the last week or so: a paleontology jazz band. It turns out that a surprisingly large percentage of the department enjoys and plays jazz with at least some degree of skill. Here's how we think it might work:

Trombone - Me; who else do you even know that plays trombone?
Trumpet - Manabu
Alto Sax - Umm...I can't think of his name right now...that guy with glasses...
Guitar/Bass - Ben, Phil J., Simon
Drums - Luke

There are obviously some gaps to be filled there. We'd need a keyboardist to start with, and I'd need to get my hands on a trombone somehow (the music department may lend them to students). Still, it's a nice idea. Now, here's the part you, my faithful readers, can help me with. What do you call a jazz band of paleontologists? There seems to be all sorts of possibilities, but we haven't had much luck coming up with a good one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just post them below...maybe I'll come up with some sort of small prize for the best. Needless to say, the real reward is the opportunity to play an integral role in the formation of what is sure to be the next big thing in music! You know, if we ever actually get our act together, find instruments for everyone, make time to practice...

2 Comments:

Blogger Erika said...

Unfortunately there's already a Dinosaur Jr. :)

Why not just "the Paleontologists"?

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 'Symbos,' an extinct genera of North American musk ox, would make a great jazz band name.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home