The Quest for the Giant Walking Stick
First off, I should add an addendum to my little math problem from yesterday: I used all the prime numbers up to 14, not 16. The last two were the Mr. Man I designed and a hypothetical ancestor.
OK, with that out of the way...there's really not that much to say about today. I intended to go pick up three cards today: my official railway card, a city library card, and my zoo membership card. I walked up Whiteladies Road, knowing that the Clifton Downs train station and a library branch were right next door to one another. Unfortunately, the library is closed Wednesdays and the train station isn't staffed. So much for killing two birds with one stone. The zoo was much less of a hassle. I got in and got my card without incident (though let's not touch on the picture they took of me - not my finest moment) and then spent a nice hour wandering through the exhibits. I managed to see the baby aye-aye this time, which was nice, but another quarry proved more elusive. I neglected to mention in my last post about the zoo that they have an excellent bug exhibit that specializes in particularly large insects. Among these is a Giant Walking Stick. Now, those of you who have been to PSC much know that there is a taxidermied Giant Walking Stick there and that it is enormous. Needless to say, I was very excited at the prospect of seeing a live one. The problem with walking sticks, though, is that they look just like sticks, and it doesn't help that it's in an enclosure more appropriate in size for a monkey than an insect (and the lighting is very low, I might add). I didn't see it my first trip and I didn't see it today (except maybe part of its tail, but I can't be sure). So, it looks like a good thing that I bought that membership. I'm going to see that walking stick. It's just a matter of time.
The afternoon was a nice walk through Clifton (where I found the local library open and managed to get myself a card). Since then, it's been study, study, study. Boring as all get out, but at least I've effectively finished two of my papers now! Just one more and a presentation to go (until next week, that is...).
OK, with that out of the way...there's really not that much to say about today. I intended to go pick up three cards today: my official railway card, a city library card, and my zoo membership card. I walked up Whiteladies Road, knowing that the Clifton Downs train station and a library branch were right next door to one another. Unfortunately, the library is closed Wednesdays and the train station isn't staffed. So much for killing two birds with one stone. The zoo was much less of a hassle. I got in and got my card without incident (though let's not touch on the picture they took of me - not my finest moment) and then spent a nice hour wandering through the exhibits. I managed to see the baby aye-aye this time, which was nice, but another quarry proved more elusive. I neglected to mention in my last post about the zoo that they have an excellent bug exhibit that specializes in particularly large insects. Among these is a Giant Walking Stick. Now, those of you who have been to PSC much know that there is a taxidermied Giant Walking Stick there and that it is enormous. Needless to say, I was very excited at the prospect of seeing a live one. The problem with walking sticks, though, is that they look just like sticks, and it doesn't help that it's in an enclosure more appropriate in size for a monkey than an insect (and the lighting is very low, I might add). I didn't see it my first trip and I didn't see it today (except maybe part of its tail, but I can't be sure). So, it looks like a good thing that I bought that membership. I'm going to see that walking stick. It's just a matter of time.
The afternoon was a nice walk through Clifton (where I found the local library open and managed to get myself a card). Since then, it's been study, study, study. Boring as all get out, but at least I've effectively finished two of my papers now! Just one more and a presentation to go (until next week, that is...).

1 Comments:
Sox win! Sox win! We're World Series Champs! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home