Can anyone top "Symbos?"
I may have underestimated the seriousness of my classmates' drive to start a paleo jazz band. I came in to class this morning to find that Ben and Luke (yes, they've been the butt end of many Star Wars jokes) had managed to find a used trombone for £20, and were in fact offering to buy it for me. I pointed out that it was probably in abysmal condition, and they replied that a good musician never complains about their instrument. I also pointed out that I made no claim to being good, but I don't think they believed me. At any rate, that loose end is tied up, it sounds as though they've found a pianist, and it turns out that Koen plays bass, so this thing may actually fly after all. Simon even told us about some open mikes in the area that we could play, but that may be putting the cart very far ahead of the horse. At any rate, keep those names coming. So far, I think Hans is the front runner, if for no other reason than he came up with an animal that even most paleontologists have never heard of. As I realize that my audience is far from enormous, feel free to make as many suggestions as you want. No idea is too dumb; you should just see a few names I came up with...

1 Comments:
I was going to make some snide remarks about archaeologists versus paleontologists, since Symbos is one of the Pleistocene genera alleged to be anthropogenically extinct (which you would have seen in your recent presentation). But perhaps I should be eating crow; it was indeed my mistake. I discovered most recent work seems to put Symbos as the same genus as Bootherium (which has precedence). D'oh!
So maybe it's not the best name then... Although it is perhaps the first band name in history to be rejected for reasons of taxonomic precedence.
Post a Comment
<< Home