I'm here!
The good news is that I arrived safely in Bristol and have pretty well settled down into life here. The bad news is that up until late yesterday, I had no Internet access whatsoever and so have been completely unable to update this blog. I now am able to log on to any of the University's computers, but it will still be a few days until I can get access in my own room. I have been writing my posts up in Word and as soon as I am able, I will copy them and put them up here (hopefully by Monday at the latest, but I'll believe it when I see it).
Here's my off-the-cuff report so far: my house is nice enough, with I believe 12 or 13 people living in it, all foreign postgraduate students. I've not gotten to know them too well yet, but as they'd say here, I'm getting on famously with my palaeontology cohort (we're told that we'll be marked down for using non-British English on papers here, so I'm switching over from American English on this blog in order to get some practice; I've also gone ahead and switched the time zone to GMT, as that's what I'm on here). The University seems so far to be an excellent place to spend a year, as does the city of Bristol. One of the palaeontology PhD students told me it was the best city in England, and I'm inclined to believe him (just to be sure he wasn't biased, I asked him where he was from originally, and he hails from Liverpool - as I probaby should have been able to tell from his accent - so we can rule out civic pride as a motivation). There will be many more details (excruciating details, some might say) when I am able to post my backlogs, so that'll give you all something to look forward to.
Cheers!
Here's my off-the-cuff report so far: my house is nice enough, with I believe 12 or 13 people living in it, all foreign postgraduate students. I've not gotten to know them too well yet, but as they'd say here, I'm getting on famously with my palaeontology cohort (we're told that we'll be marked down for using non-British English on papers here, so I'm switching over from American English on this blog in order to get some practice; I've also gone ahead and switched the time zone to GMT, as that's what I'm on here). The University seems so far to be an excellent place to spend a year, as does the city of Bristol. One of the palaeontology PhD students told me it was the best city in England, and I'm inclined to believe him (just to be sure he wasn't biased, I asked him where he was from originally, and he hails from Liverpool - as I probaby should have been able to tell from his accent - so we can rule out civic pride as a motivation). There will be many more details (excruciating details, some might say) when I am able to post my backlogs, so that'll give you all something to look forward to.
Cheers!

2 Comments:
Non-British English? Are they talking about slang or spelling rules or what? The rule completely makes sense; I'm just not sure what, precisely, it's refering to.
Also, hi! Hope you don't mind, but I linked to you in my journal. Glad to hear you arrived safely!
What? You can't use "fo' shizzle?" How are you going to present yourself in the erudite manner to which we've become accustomed?
It is good to hear that you're settling in and that your cohort is a fun bunch. When you get the time, be sure to give us a review of authentic English beer.
Post a Comment
<< Home