The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

14 November 2005

Ogg study fossil!

It's been another slow two days, but I figured I'd throw another bulleted list of vignettes at you all. Here we go:

-Yesterday was sunny, so I finally got the picture of the Wills Building from the inner courtyard that I'd been meaning to take for weeks now. I think it looks far better than the view from the front, but judge for yourself. It's posted at left.
-Apparently no one was able to top Symbos for a band name. I'll suggest it to the other guys in the still-nascent band, but somehow I doubt the invalidated genus name of an Ice Age musk ox will really do it for them. Still, congratulations Hans; it was a joke of a contest, but you won! I'll have to think of something as a prize now...
-Now that everyone is in the process of applying to PhD programs in the States, I'm suddenly a font of knowledge about all things American. I got to define GPA this morning, and was also called upon to explain what the GRE was. Everyone here seems to think our system is ridiculous, but if they think ours is bad, they clearly haven't been paying attention to their own educational arcana.
-I got my first British haircut this afternoon when our practical session was cancelled. That's not interesting in and of itself, but the barber spent the whole time talking about the merits of rugby versus "football" (soccer). He pointed out something that I'd noticed vaguely but hadn't really thought about: Bristol is a much bigger rugby city than a soccer city. Apparently the local soccer team is no good, while the ruggers are in the country's top league. He also used a phrase that I liked: "Rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen, and football is a gentleman's game played by thugs." Clearly, I'll have to get myself to a rugby match one of these days.
-I went to collect the £200 deposit I made on my room before the school year, expecting it to be paid by check. Instead, I found myself walking out with eight 20s and two 10s. I felt disgustingly rich (and conspicuously like a target) during the five minute walk to the bank.
-I spent most of the evening doing a literature review of the Jurassic-Cretaceous and Cenomanian-Turonian extinctions. Again, that's boring on the face of it, but I came across some odd references in doing so that I thought were worth mentioning. The first was a story about a giant fossil fly in a journal called Oriental Insects. Who knew that there was even a need for that journal? Certainly not me! The second source that made me do a double-take was a paper co-authored by someone named Ogg. I really hope that at some point in his or her career Ogg specialized in human evolution.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number one, number one!

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home