The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

05 December 2005

The natives have finally accepted me as part of their culture!

Like Jane Goodall with her chimps, I have now apparently insinuated myself into British society. I was having lunch down by the Floating Harbour today (a sausage sandwich: the sausage was excellent, but the sandwich suffered from excessive horseradish - however, the ever-present seagulls you can see at right didn't seem to mind) when a man approached me. At first I thought he was going to try and get me to give money to some cause or another; there's a lot of sidewalk solicitation here. However, it turned out that he - an English man - wanted directions to a street in Bristol - an English city - from me - an American. What's even more exciting was that I was able to give him those directions! Similarly, in the quiz on Friday, I was able to correctly answer the question "Which English city has an Iguanodon on its coat of arms?" It's Maidstone, Kent. That's not too impressive in and of itself, but not a single English person I've talked to so far has known the answer, including a guy who is actually from Maidstone. Before you know it I'll be smoking a pipe, telling stories about my time in India, and toasting the Queen at every opportunity...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home