The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

15 January 2006

Back in Britain, and ain't it grand?

The British would never admit it, but they owe a huge cultural debt to Denmark. Arguably the two greatest work of English literature, Beowulf and Hamlet, are set there. Danish Vikings controlled both Britain and Ireland at their zenith, and one of England's most storied kings (Canute) was also King of Denmark. Perhaps most significantly, at the end of the Roman occupation of Britain, Germanic peoples from Denmark and surrounding areas of Europe invaded the island, laying the foundations of the modern English nation, people, and language. Today, I made that same journey in just over an hour and contributed absolutely nothing to British culture. Still, my trip to Copenhagen was one of the best travel experiences I've had in a long time. I look forward to sharing my Danish saga, such as it is, with you all, but I'm worn out from travel right now and so I'm saving my descriptions for tomorrow (though I will include this lovely picture of a Danish sunset to keep things interesting for now). So stay tuned to learn all about the land of Hans Christian Andersen and delicious pastries...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huzzahs all around, John is back online!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home