The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

24 January 2006

Posters, Programming, and...um...Pwinter pweather?

Well, it's been a few days since I've posted here. I promise to be better about that in the future, but there's not been a whole lot to report about: exams and projects, basically. I do hope that none of you lost any sleep over it, and if you did there might be something very wrong with you.

-I presented my poster for "Dinosaurs" today; that's one project/exam down, four to go. I think it went pretty well, but of course I won't know for sure for a few days yet (bear in mind that I'm still waiting on grades for some fairly major projects from last term). Since I know you're all just dying to see what this poster looked like, I've tried to upload it here, but with no success. Sorry 'bout that. If you want to learn about early dinosaurs, I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere, which I know will break your collective heart...
-British TV is boring. Last night during dinner I watched a hard-hitting investigative report on...traffic jams. By the looks of them, they weren't even particularly bad. Tonight was a show in which a family got expert tips on how to train a dachshund. No, it's not the type of thing I'd normally watch, but it was actually the most interesting thing on.
-The red-letter exception to this rule (actually, there are many, but I liked this one in particular) was the University Challenge. Apparently this is an annual event in which teams of students from schools across the country compete in a Jeopardy-like quiz show. The questions are just about impossible to get if you're not a specialist in the field (there was actually a round in which people were asked to identify portraits of obscure 17th and 18th Century English poets, none of whom I'd ever even heard of - in another round, contestants had to match foreign names for Southern Hemisphere constellations with their Latin names). What's more, the entire game is basically a lightning round; I'm not sure how any of the players were able to answer anything correctly, but it was great fun to watch (and when you do get an answer right, you feel very, very smart).
-We're in the midst of a cold snap now that apparently has settled in over the rest of Europe as well. We have it far better than Germany or Scandinavia, and it of course has nothing on an average Chicago January, but it's still got everyone complaining. Not me, of course...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and...um...a polar plunge?

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home