We are the champions, my friends!
Well, these last couple of days have been busy. Yesterday was all academics, all the time. It began with our first Sedimentology lecture. It's the only class I'm taking this teaching block, which is probably a good thing, as they didn't waste a moment on introduction, storming right ahead to the finer points of sandstone composition (whoopee?). Needless to say, we biologists are completely out of our element. After that humbling experience, we all moved along to main event, the double dose of Taphonomy & Palaeoecology exam and essay (both of which I think went well, knock on wood). Fortunately, the traditional (or so it seems to be fast becoming) post-exam pub and curry trip went on afterwards, so I finally got a chance to take a breath.
Today was far more fun, though we did have to endure more Sedimentology. In between the class and the practical session, I went to get my hair cut. Not an interesting story, but as it set me back £10, I thought it was worth mentioning. This afternoon, I learned that the Super Bowl will be aired on local TV after all (I thought I was going to have to rely on BBC Radio 5)! Of course, it still starts at 11:15, but the loss of a few hours of sleep is a small price to pay, after all. I mean, it's the Super Bowl! With the Seahawks!
My biggest news, though, is from tonight. A few of us from the house decided to try out the pub quiz at the watering hole just up the hill. We thought it might be fun. It was, more so than we expected. Not only did we win, we won by a hefty margin over the team that was clearly composed of regulars and very used to winning (think Elvis, NMR). They were so impressed that they asked us if we wanted to join some of them to try out for the BBC gameshow Eggheads. I was talked into putting my name on the list (I mean, you could win £15,000 - that's nothing to sneeze at). For those of you that have my best interest at heart, no, I don't think I'll actually do it; classes do take precedence over such sordid things as money, after all. Still, to win that handily and to impress the regulars that much is a nice feeling. The only real downside was that we could have won £75 by answering the jackpot question: "how tall is the Blackpool Tower?" Not surprisingly, we were way off.
In closing, I should just mention that while writing this I had the strongest feeling of deja vu, for what it's worth. Probably not much. Oh well.
Today was far more fun, though we did have to endure more Sedimentology. In between the class and the practical session, I went to get my hair cut. Not an interesting story, but as it set me back £10, I thought it was worth mentioning. This afternoon, I learned that the Super Bowl will be aired on local TV after all (I thought I was going to have to rely on BBC Radio 5)! Of course, it still starts at 11:15, but the loss of a few hours of sleep is a small price to pay, after all. I mean, it's the Super Bowl! With the Seahawks!
My biggest news, though, is from tonight. A few of us from the house decided to try out the pub quiz at the watering hole just up the hill. We thought it might be fun. It was, more so than we expected. Not only did we win, we won by a hefty margin over the team that was clearly composed of regulars and very used to winning (think Elvis, NMR). They were so impressed that they asked us if we wanted to join some of them to try out for the BBC gameshow Eggheads. I was talked into putting my name on the list (I mean, you could win £15,000 - that's nothing to sneeze at). For those of you that have my best interest at heart, no, I don't think I'll actually do it; classes do take precedence over such sordid things as money, after all. Still, to win that handily and to impress the regulars that much is a nice feeling. The only real downside was that we could have won £75 by answering the jackpot question: "how tall is the Blackpool Tower?" Not surprisingly, we were way off.
In closing, I should just mention that while writing this I had the strongest feeling of deja vu, for what it's worth. Probably not much. Oh well.

1 Comments:
Greed beats school, like rock beats scissors.
Post a Comment
<< Home