The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

21 March 2006

Gazing at Gustav in Gloucestershire

I went back to my roots a bit today by going to the childhood home of one of the greatest trombonists (probably the greatest classical trombonist) of all time. Gustav Holst is known mostly for composing, and is especially famous for The Planets (even if you don't know the name, trust me, you've heard the music), but he got his start playing the trombone (neuritis prevented him from playing the piano or organ, a fortunate twist of fate both for him and the greatest musical instrument ever invented). I'll drop the history lesson and pro-trombone rhetoric at this point, much to everyone's relief, I'm sure. Holst's house is in Cheltenham, a small-ish city a few miles north of Bristol in Gloucestershire. It's a nice place, known for it's 19th Century architecture and horse racing. It reminds me a bit of Bath (a meaningless comparison for most of you, I realize), but slightly more modern and certainly more low-key. If nothing else, it was a very good place for a walk, and I even got a decent picture for my efforts (the green statue at the right of the photo is a memorial to the scientist from the Scott Antarctic Expedition, which I thought was kind of cool).
More prosaically, my class tomorrow was canceled, meaning that, for all intents and purposes, I'm on Spring Break now! Woo hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home