A Drive on the Left Side
I've driven all sorts of interesting places. Along coasts, up mountains, across plains, through cities. Once I drove across the US in a week. Up until today, however, I had never driven on the left-hand side of the road. That was remedied this morning, when my mom and I left Bristol in a rented red Kia. It had a malfunctioning clutch and was probably unsafe in high winds (which, needless to say, we had in spades). Our route was across the Severn Bridge to Chepstow, up the Wye Valley to Tintern Abbey, across the Forest of Dean, past Gloucester and Cheltenham, and back to Bristol via the Cotswolds (I hope you all have your maps of England and Wales...). It's a particularly scenic part of the country, and I especially recommend Tintern (the photo at right) and the Cotswolds to any of you who make your way to Britain at some point in your lives. I also recommend driving the roads here. It's much easier than you might think, as long as you can remember which lever controls your windshield wipers and which controls your turn signals.As always, I like to think I learned something today. The biggest things I've picked up from the British countryside are that "ambulance" and "bus" are spelled "ambiwlans" and "bws" in Welsh and that pheasant seems to be the roadkill of choice in these parts. Now there's knowledge you can use!

1 Comments:
That picture is gorgeous! Any idea how old the building is?
Post a Comment
<< Home