The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

18 February 2006

It's Pronounced SALS-burry

There are two main reasons to go to Salisbury: to see the Cathedral, or as a gateway to Stonehenge. Having seen Stonehenge once several years ago, I didn't feel a great compulsion to go again. The Cathedral, however, is well worth the trip, as I found out today on a fairly spontaneous excursion (involving a train ride with perhaps the worst cell phone jerk I've ever encountered). It's by all accounts the nicest of all the English cathedrals architecturally, and I can't say I'm inclined to disagree. It certainly has an impressive spire (that was apparently almost too big for the church, requiring some major last-minute structural alteration to the nave). They also have a copy of the Magna Carta in the Chapter House, just to top it all off. Salisbury itself is a nice medieval city, though not as much fun to wander around as, say, Exeter or Bath (apparently I write travel guides now...). One of the best things about it is that you can walk out of the Cathedral Close right into the middle of green pastureland, which makes for some very atmospheric views, as well as a nice walk on an early Spring day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home