The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

15 February 2006

The Realm of the Megaripple

If there's anyone out there who still reads this, you've probably astutely noticed that I haven't posted in a while. I wish I could say I've been off doing thrilling things, but basically the story of my life the past few days has been Sedimentology followed by the Olympics. As to the first, it's still not my idea of a good time, though our professor did tell us the best way to survive falling into a river (though I sincerely doubt she's ever personally been in that situation). We also learned that the technical name for dunes is "megaripples," and that when you cross a certain threshold of current and grain size, you pass into the so-called Realm of the Megaripple. Other than that, I'm not sure I've learned anything that will benefit me in my later life.
The Olympics, on the other hand, have been outstanding. The BBC doesn't waste a moment of time with stories about or interviews with the athletes. Sometimes they'll explain the sport about to be seen, but more often they just charge right into it, so you basically get nothing but competition. What's more, they have an interactive menu that lets you see what sports are showing on what BBC station, as well as a schedule of events, a medal table, and results. If you like obscure winter sports, it's a little slice of heaven. Needless to say, I'm enjoying every minute of it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if only there was the Sedimentology Olympics.

"And this year's hot ticket event is digging..."

10:19 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

Realm of the Megaripple sounds so... so ominous... Either that, or it's the title of the last Harry Potter book. :)

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home