The Avon Stream

Downstream from Shakespeare and upstream from Cabot

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

23 April 2006

Feel the (Manley) Power

Apparently today is St. George's Day. Somehow England's patron saint doesn't inspire quite the celebration that, say, Ireland's does. Still, I managed to celebrate it by spending a day in that most English of all cities, Bath. I went down along with the Pteam Palaeo PhD crowd, and though we'd all been a few times before, we still managed to have an excellent time. There were two highlights. The pub we went to for lunch had a bag full of St. George's Day promotional hats to get rid of, and we were the lucky recipients of some of them. They are among the most ridiculous pieces of headgear I have ever seen, and I'm fairly sure any description I try to give will not do them justice. Suffice it to say, mine incorporates the English flag, red and white "spikes," and a dragon-like tail. We also paid a visit to Bath Abbey (and no, of course we didn't wear our hats inside, or outside for that matter). Not only did we get a free concert from the organist, but we got a good look at some of the monuments on the wall. Sad to say, English names seem to have gotten a good deal more boring in the last couple of centuries: we came across graves of Marmaduke Peacocke and, even better, Lieutenant-Commander Sir Manley Power. I'll just let that name speak for itself...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Brits really have an edge on the rest of the world when it comes to names. They're a mid-sized island that for a time maintained an empire that spanned the globe. How did they do it? Intimidation by calling themselves "Great Britain."

"Lookout, here comes Great Britain! We don't stand a chance, they're Great."

(Apologies to Michael Moore.)

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home